Monday, September 14, 2009

Storms a brewin'

It’s September and like many students, school has already begun to kick us in the arse. Recently I haven’t been posting here as much as I should but with a new focus for this year I’m hoping it will be different.

Currently sitting in lecture, my web essentials instructor mentioned shortlisting when it comes to portfolio work. That really got me to thinking about the work I create and who it really caters to. I’ve recently been creating pieces inspired by my yoga instructors. This is currently a WIP and will be completed SOON…BUT back to the point of shortlisting, I honestly wouldn’t know what to place into my portfolio. I was never very impressed with my own works and such but for those who are reading this at this moment..

What makes you proud of your own work?

There are so many inspirational people but yet, for me anyway, it becomes this kind of pressure in wanting to create pieces that meet a certain expectation and level that I cannot achieve just yet. I’ve grown to love the fact that I shouldn’t worry about who I want to impress but more so create a story but when does that road end? Does the ultimate “job” kill you of your “creativity” and personality of storytelling? I’ve begun to develop stories in my pieces but they’re more evocative than anything. Does that even work in a time like this? Where design, from a majority of people, are expected to be jazzy or very clean cut with helvetica.

What determines the worth of your work?



WIP, yes? I will be posting the “final” soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment